Tuesday, August 28, 2007

to be reborn, not born again

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've been vegetarian for nearly three months now. It all started with Fast Food Nation- one of the greatest books I've ever read. It totally opened my eyes to the world I was living in, especially as I worked at McDonald's at the time. I knew a bit about meat and the whole process but the part about the slaughter house brought me to tears. I guess it was the way that it was written that really touched me. I tried to stop eating meat but it didn't really go anywhere. After seeing the movie and having a visual image of it all, I knew I had to stop. I didn't know how I was going to do it. I had never been in love with steak or burgers but chicken- now I was always down for some chicken nuggets or a nice chicken breast. But it stopped. I went 'cold turkey' so to speak. And I haven't looked back. This video really got to me as well.

My friend Karina has been a vegetarian for three years now. She watched a video about dog and chicken cruelty and was completely turned off. We went out for breakfast with some friends the following day and she ordered pancakes. I admired her but I never really understood or questioned her reasoning. I simply accepted it.

Now I wish people treated me the same way. When I have to say, "actually... I'm a vegetarian" people respond with "oh..." It's amazing how everyone has an opinion about it and feels the need to argue with me. Now, I'm not one for confrontation. I try to avoid it as best as I can. When people debate with me, I lose all my facts. All I can do is look away and say "hey this is how I feel about it". I love it when people tell me I won't last. It just gives me more motivation to go on with it.


A few weeks ago, I went camping with some friends. They were all thinking: "um.. what are you going to eat?" None of them are very open-minded about it. When we went to get groceries, I went over to the vegetarian section and they were very skeptical about the food they saw. I bought some fake chicken breasts with this really nice sauce and spices. While they were cooking up hot dogs, I was frying up the chicken and it smelled delicious. They all ended up wanting to try some.

If you keep Losing Sleep - Silverchair