Wednesday, April 23, 2008


I haven't had much to update about lately. I finally finished my semester and my exams were pretty rough. I somehow mixed up my first exam because two of my courses had the same course code. So I was thinking it was my psych class when really it was my politics. I felt like a complete idiot. Luckily, it was sort of like my midterm. The essays were mostly about comparing conservatism and liberalism. I headed home to see Kris with a bunch of junk food from my meal card. My parents had gone to California to sort out their relationship or something leaving me to take care of John during exams. Kris has been really great and I love spending time with him. It just all feels really natural.

I slept in for my next exam and by the time I got there it was almost 10am. I figured I wouldn't be able to write the exam anyway, so I tried getting Radiohead tickets in the SLC. I had my account info typed in and the page ready to go so I kept refreshing it because it was literally 9:59. Then I got a message saying my account had been suspended. By the time it was lifted five minutes later they were all sold out. I was really crushed. Radiohead is Kris' all time favourite band, like words can't describe. I walked dejectedly over to the gym where I had to talk to the big scary proctor so that I could write the exam at 4. It was for sociology of poverty and it was the worst exam I've ever written in my life. There was no possible way that I could have studied for it (I didn't even bother) because it was mostly all stats and figures. It was the dumbest thing ever.

Then I got the call from the lady at the labour board. It stirred up all these emotions that I had been trying to get over (see the last post) and so for the last little while I've been trying to get statements from people. I sent an email explaining what was going on to about 50 people that I used to work with:

Hey former employees of McDonald's ;)

So last month I was fired for letting a former employee in the back of wal-mart for literally 5 minutes. I was expecting to get written up or maybe even suspended because I hadn't been in any kind of trouble before. But apparently "it was the biggest breech of policy that I could have committed and they had no choice but to let me go". It's pretty ridiculous because tons of crew and managers have done far worse and gotten away with it, as you well know. The labour board is investigating it and they want me to try to get statements from former crew/managers saying they've witnessed a manager let a non-employee or former crew behind the counter and received no discipline. It doesn't matter if they're still working there now or not, the point is that they aren't being consistent with their policies. If you can remember anything and you'd be willing to write a short statement for me, I would appreciate it so much. Please let me know! And I'd imagine the statement should look something like this:


I, ______, was an employee of Alpine McDonald's from ___ to ___ and I witnessed _____ doing ...

Thanks guys! :)

I have about ten statements so far and there's more people saying they'll write it but haven't gotten around to it. The more the better.