Tuesday, September 25, 2007

and i need to patient, and i need to be brave


-----Email Message-----

Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 6:20 PM

Subject: No Phone Calls

Dear Frank,
I feel the same way. I often wonder why I even have a phone because I rarely receive calls. If there was a way we could contact each other that would be cool. My phone number is 605-212-7787 (with permission).

Sincerely,
Ryan (with permission)


-----Email Message------

Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 9:26 PM

Subject: I Called Ryan

Frank,
Earlier today, I saw the secret about having the cool toy iPhone and still not getting any calls and it resonated with me. I couldn't believe when I checked later this evening and saw the message from Ryan, including his phone number. It's pretty gutsy to have your private phone number published on a website that people read worldwide. I decided to call. Immediately I was glad I had. Ryan answered by the third ring, and was so excited, so high on life, that it made me smile and has left me smiling ever since, something that's been rare for me lately.That South Dakotan stranger has heard from people from around the world, wishing him well, and reaching out to a person who was brave enough to admit they, too, were lonely. I hoped to help him smile and feel like he mattered and that people are basically good; yet those were the things our brief conversation gave to me.

~Jodi


-----Email Message------

Sent: Sunday, September 23, 2007 11:26 PM

Subject: I Called Ryan

How hopeful that Ryan's voice mail is now full.
I text messaged him saying "You're not alone. I hope you have an awesome day! -Siobhan from Canada." And I found this right after on lj:
so uh. i just texted this guy and told him to have an amazing day. i hope i cheered him up. but now i'm beginning to think...maybe a million other people already beat me to it, and now he's just going to have an enormous phone bill to pay :/
KT Tunstall - Minature Disasters