Sunday, September 16, 2007

the only way out is to give in

Yesterday I had an interview at the Charcoal Steakhouse. Basically, it would have been the perfect place for me to work at. Right down the street, beautiful restaurant, lots of people my age, classy and good tips+. My mom's friend Amber has been trying to get me to work there for a while. I finally gave in and it became this huge ordeal. I dropped off my resume last Tuesday and I had this mini-interview with this guy Dave. He made it sound like he would call me back with the next day or two for sure. A week later and still no word from him. I called back everyday until finally I set up an interview with Mariam. I spend all this time getting ready, preparing what I'm going to say and I was there for less than 20 minutes. She asked me questions like "what would you do if a customer was complaining about wait times?" and "how would you maintain food cleanliness?" and I'm freaking out inside because I know how hard it is to get a job there. She went on to say that usually people needed a year's experience serving at a previous restaurant. Which is understandable, but I was a manager at a restaurant for god's sake. Not exactly the same thing, but still I should have been able to get my foot in the door. I don't see why I was called in for an interview because clearly I don't have the experience that they're looking for and there "might" be a hostessing position available. I was really bummed out because it was such a waste of my time that could have been spent getting other jobs. But of course I had faith I would get this one. Everytime I told someone about the interview they were like "oh you have so much experience, you'll get it for sure!" So much for that. I've been unemployed for almost a month now! I'm not compltely broke or anything but paying my $2683.15 fall tuition hurt.




On an unrelated note, we finally got the basement carpeted. It looks a lot better now but it still smells. Oh, and I realized that we have a cold cellar. Which is fucking creepy.


I have a sociology of cults class which I find really fascinating. The prof wrote our text book Comprending Cults and edited our other text and I find that really impressive. Anyway, he talked about The Family, a cult formed in the 1960's. I was reading into it the other night and I got really freaked out. Basically they believe that God created sex so it's beautiful and literally 'spread the love'. The part I found really sad and disturbing though, was the story of Davidito or Ricky Rodriguez. He was the son of the founder and was made to be an example of child rearing. There's this 700+ page book describing his life and upbringing that was circulated among the family. He was made out to have such a beautiful life, but wow. The things that he went through are unimaginable. It's no wonder how depressed he was later in life, and after leaving the religion as an adult he committed suicide. I think this might have been the most disturbing thing I've ever read. I was so sad and creeped out I didn't know what to do with myself.

Metric - Empty